Friday, October 17, 2008

Why, Lord?

I'm forced at times to question God's promises. I don't think it's because of my lack of faith- it's more a lack of my understanding of why all of the craziness is happening in my life at that particular time. Over the past 6 weeks there has been more happen in my personal life than I've felt that I could handle. I'll admit that I've been angry, bitter, depressed and confused as to why everything has happened. One of the phrases I've heard time and time again from family and friends is that God never gives us more than we can handle.

I've never been ashamed or afraid to lean on God's promises in difficult times. Last night after an extremely scary situation I decided to pull out my Bible and find what I had always assumed was somewhere in His word. "God will never give you more than you can handle." So I began to flip through the pages and couldn't find it. I got frustrated, so I logged online and googled it. Imagine my surprise when I realized- THAT VERSE DOES NOT EXIST!
However, I found lots of encouraging scripture that got me through the night and carried me into this morning. But, I'll admit, I'm still shocked that I had believed for so many years this verse was written somewhere in the wise pages of God's word, and now I know that it doesn't.

I know that God will work all things together for His glory and our good.I know that no temptation is bigger than God.

I know that He is loving and safe.

How do I know that I'm not dealing with more than what I can handle? I'm sure other people have lived through and overcome bigger things than I'm wading through. I know me though, and this feels like WAY more than I can handle.

Christians throughout my life have always said that if you're depressed, then you aren't trusting in God enough. So many great men in the Bible struggled with it though: Elijah, David, Paul….. these were amazing men of God who struggled with depression through the hard times. Did they feel as though they had more on their plates than what they could handle? If so, I'm right there with them.


It's not that I don't trust Him. It's not that I love Him any less in the difficult times of life. I know that through doubt my faith is seeking understanding. It's not weakening, it's trying to grow.

Where does this saying come from? Have you ever wondered if God is giving you more than you can handle?