Sunday, January 24, 2010

Another blue movie

For weeks I had to bug Suavest Maximus (SM) to bring me along to watch Avatar 3D and because I "booked" him to the movie, I had to reject others who invited me along although I was very much tempted to catch it earlier. (We only managed to catch the movie 3 Weeks after I annoyed him nonstop how he wasnt a man of his words for not bringing me to watch it) Being the Kiasu person that I was and after hearing all the 'niceties' review of the movie, I knew I just had to join the league of fanatic peoples, watch it in 3D and ooh and ahh over it just like everyone else had even if we have to wait weeks to get the tickets. when SM asked me what was so good about the movie that it has overtaken Titanic in the international box office, I lamely replied "because it is a blue movie". I did not understand what the hype was all about Avatar, I just knew it is a must watch if I do not want to lose my cool-ness with the crowd.

James Cameron's sci-fi adventure did not do much justice to the awesome reviews it garnered throughout its released. The film was blue. Indeed it was. filled with blue Neytiri, residence of the Pandora, who wore nothing but just beads around their blue naked body. But..But..you still cannot see anything la.


This is a movie that if you do not want to die an uncool person, yes, please go watch it. However, it's not a movie like Transformers, Dark Knight or even Disney's animated Pixar 'UP' whereby you can watch it on reruns after reruns and not get bored of it. Avatar has all the cliche dialogues, cliched characters, and cliched storyline. It's like after 15 minutes of watching uncomfortably with the 3D glasses, you can guess how the story will develop and how many people will eventually be sacrificed to make the ending a va-va-boom, leaving the audience in awe and not bothered that it was actually a movie that pale very much in comparison with my grandma's home-made birthday video. Titanic. Another James Cameron's genius. At least in Titanic, there was a pretty face to look at and a never-to-forget-scene, i.e. where Rose stood with her arms wide upon on the ship while My heart will go on plays at the background. I can hardly remember any scenes from Avatar now. Except this.



Sure, Avatar was a 'pretty' movie with amazing graphics that even I am awed by that. I have to give credit to Cameron on his brilliance in creating a fantasy world that lights and shines at every touch and step. Even the creatures living in Pandora has this futuristic alien-like features. Other than that, it is not a movie I will want to watch a second time. Not one I can sit through for another 2 hours and gush about it. Besides the brilliantastic 3D graphics, I still cannot understand why people are going back again to watch it...times are not that bad afterall I guess. No where to spend all that money maybe?

Relevation of the month - Watching Avatar just once doesn't make you cool. You are just "up-to-date". You must have watch it like 3 times or more and  in 3D only can be  considered cool okays.