Sunday, November 23, 2008

Goodbye is the hardest word to say

As I pack my bag to leave for England one more time, I am making sure I am packing light. Vowing not to bring my whole room along this time round. Lifting up my luggage to check the weight, my heart felt heavy. Laden with bittersweet memories of 2 months of love, happiness and laughters.

England and I share a love-hate relationship. I love it for its erratic weather and British accent but I hated it for its gloominess and 5 0'clock shops-closing culture. For the duration I was there, I carve a niche at making sure I was never bored, never trapped in a state of loneliness and I filled every waking second with something that will leave memories for me. I blended after awhile, carmouflouge in my posh British accent, suede ballerina flats, UGG boots, leggings, neat winter coats and perfunctory air kisses. The one thing that stood at glaringly against the dark winter days was my yellow skin. I was 10 shades fairer than I was here in the tropical island but I remained unmistakeably yellow. Nevertheless, I taught myself to love England. To focus on the goodness it has to offer. To look for the silver lining. I fell in love after awhile. I was then adamant that I really wanted to stay. Yellow or not, I found reasons to stay.

In early autumn, I boarded an Arabic airline to begin my 30000km home. leaving behind the pompous yellow British wannabe brat behind. Having set my heart that the island has nothing great to offer besides heavenly food, I was reluctant to board my plane. Upon arrival, I was greeted with heavy rainstorms. I was blown away. A shower of heavenly blessings to come home to. Look under every stone, you find a reason to stay. Look inside my heart, you find every reason to smile. Look closely and you will find glittering tears wetting my cheeks. I became once again, attached to home. i was glad to be coming home again. To be among the seas of yellow and not glow like a firefly in the dark.

I came unexpecting anything. barely even hoping. not close to wishing. Then somebody bends, unexpectedly. The sun still rises and sets. but the tale is turning to a fairytale. Finally, I found a place I truly belong. I am blessed to have found you guys, to have found the missing pieces of my heart and most of all, to have found myself again.

Home is truly where the heart is. No matter how far I have gone, how much I have seen, how many I have met, I am finally home. And again, goodbye comes. the solemn promise of a reunion.