Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It all comes down to M - for maturity

Involvement with people is always a very delicate thing....It requires real maturity to get involved and not get all messed up. It involves a sacrifice of time and an investment of emotions. I am most naive when it comes to matters of the heart. My heart leaps first before consulting my rational and intelligence. Therefore more often than not, landing me in a deep pool of tears. People don't realise what they are getting into until they are waist deep in the relationship and its too difficult to wade themselves out.

When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing, and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. When we honestly ask ourselves again, shouldnt that be the characteristics too, of the person you are in a relationship with? Your significant other half? Or are relationships so superficial that the only ingredient require is the mushy fuzzy feeling that keeps your head so light that you seem to be on cloud nine all the time? It must have been dinosaur years since I have dated that the only thing that hold my hand now are cobwebs. So please enlighten me...

I value the ones who allow me to be myself and yet love me with all his heart. Giving me the freedom to express my sillyness. to crack lame jokes laugh with me. someone who will take car rides with me and enjoy each minute. Someone who will ride with me on the bus and savour each second. We cannot tell the precise minute when the sparkle came but I can tell you the happiness shouldnt dry out and like drop by drop filling a vessel, our relationship should always be bursting with tears of joy. I want to look deeper, pass the pretty face, pass the stylo milo hair, pass the charming smile. I want insight, sense and courage. Even if silence does come between us, we will still be so comfortable hanging out in it.

Maturity in a love relationship is everything! First it is the ability to base a decision about a love relationship on the big picture - the long haul. In general, it means being able to pass up the fun for the moment and select the course of action which will pay off later. Maturity is the ability to stick with a project or a situation until it is finished. It means doing whatever it takes to make the relationship be one you are proud to be in. The adult who is constantly changing jobs, relationships, and friends, is in a word. . . immature. They cannot stick it out because they have not grown up. Everything seems to turn sour after a while.

The world is filled with people who can't be counted on, people who never seem to come through in the clutches, people who break promises and substitute alibis for performance. They make excuses. They show up late - or not at all. They are confused and disorganized. Their lives are a chaotic maze of unfinished business and uncommitted relationships. Oh, what a tangled web we weave.

Mature love offers us our most profound opportunity for regaining wholeness - not because our partners will fill all of our emptiness, but because we can use the embrace of a loving relationship to nurture ourselves toward greater maturation and ripening.

If you find yourself stuck in a mudful of immaturities...just call out - Lord, I need a lifeline! This is my SOS call. :) Be Blessed.