Saturday, August 16, 2008

The bittersweet pill of Grace

I have a friend whom deep down "I wish was dead!". This has been going on for well over 5 months now. you maybe somewhat baffled as to why I hate him so much or that I could hold onto so much resentment for so long. we are both church-goers and were congenial to one another before. But then something happened. Something just snapped. In the eyes of one, a crime was committed that was so heinous that the other, seemingly, can never be forgiven.

I know I'm not perfect, but I never thought that I could be so bad that I would hate someone so much. I have nothing but wished I could have more love for this guy and would like nothing better than for me to let go of this rage toward him and live in peace.

See, I don't claim to have a perfect understanding of God's grace, but it is something that He reveals to me more and more as I live. At the same time He is (quite painfully) showing me just how imperfect I am and how my friend may be perfectly justified in calling me out on my character flaws - which makes His grace all the more awesome in my eyes. And I'm also learning that in response, I can do nothing that allows me to boast, "Hey, look at all this grace I have! I must be really special to God - unlike YOU!" In fact, it should be more the opposite response of "hey, this grace stuff is enormous! And it's all for... me?"

I think that one of the greatest demonstrations that you have an understanding about God's forgiveness of you is to forgive others as well. This is contrasted in the parable of the unforgiving servant where a wealthy man's servant was forgiven of a debt he could never realistically repay, but then the servant turned around and would not forgive another who owed him a relatively paltry sum.

Colossians 3:12-15 says:
Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.
I am convinced that if you find yourself saying that you can "never forgive" someone for something they did, you truly don't have any idea of how much you were forgiven... from what you were forgiven... how pointless and empty this life would be without His grace. Are you sure you knew what you were getting into when you signed up for this "Christian life" stuff?

Colossians 3:3 says: For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.
It doesn't say... "For you just needed a little help..." or "For you had a personality makeover..." or "For you took a break..." It says that you DIED. So why are you trying to resuscitate the anger and bitterness that you were a puppet to before you met Christ?

And the thing about bitterness is that it doesn't hurt anyone but the one who is bitter. Let it go. You have been saved by a tidal wave of grace - how can you withhold your teaspoonful? Whatever crime someone has committed, is it so bad that it was not covered by the cross? Does the sinner need all of God's grace plus a little of yours in order to be redeemed?

I will close with a quote. It's about how, for Christians, there is never an occasion that prohits one from showing another grace. I agree completely. I know it's hard to put into practice, as I am very petty sometimes as well. But I have to believe that this is one way we Christians must live differently than the world. Or else, what's the point?

You will never be called upon to give anyone more grace than God has already given you. - Max Lucado
Do you struggle with bitterness? Are there any people in your life that you have yet to "make things right" with?