Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Biblical men

In most Christian dating books, we are advise to date men who are all out for God. Men who will lay down his life before the Cross and will be able to lead me, hand in hand, to be in a closer relationship with God. Love is a choice. Falling in love in with a Godly man may not be that difficult but to find the RIGHT Godly men is tough. Let's peruse through the men in the Bible.

Adam
I would easily fall in love with Adam. He had a close relationship with God and he was naked in the Garden of Eden. What's not to like about men like him? He and Eve were loving couples - what else do you think they do daily in the Garden of Eden besides gardening ? *wink wink* room for wild imagination. He is an idealistic man until we read how he was lured into temptation to eat the forbidden fruit. He does have a problem making his own decision, being submissive and Eve presumably would have said, "If you don't eat this, you can sleep alone tonight!". I would worry with a man like him. If the forbidden fruit can be so tempting..what more other God forbidden things would not tempt him? Another naked fruit perhaps and this time I will say, "If you eat the forbidden fruit, you can sleep outside tonight?" Talk about pre-meditated marital issues.

Abraham
Though the references reported wife-swapping, the facts seem to show he never slept with another man's wife, but did offer to share his own wife with another man. So Abraham would happily and gleefully offer me up to shag some other bearded men? Satisfaction not guaranteed.

Joseph
A big thinker, but a braggart, believes in dream-interpreting, and has a prison record. I doubt my mother would agree to an ex-con and I wouldn't be very happy with him interpreting my dreams of my moonlight swims with Ian Thorpe. or he would bug me every morning to tell him my dreams so he can interpret them...I may like to have a man who thinks (BIG!!) and doesn't let him brains become fungi infested but...Joseph leaves alot of doubt for THINKING.

Noah

Former pastorate of 120 years with not even one convert. Noah would be a cool guy to marry after watching Evan Almighty. All the animals in the kingdom in one big ship would mean I have to give up my job as a lawyer and turn to milking goats and rearing chickens. He is also prone to unrealistic building projects. I wouldn't like him spending another 100 years building a dolphin shaped pool. And what happens when he outlives me? This man was 120 years old when he completed the Ark.

David

The most promising leader of all until we discovered the affair he had with his neighbor's wife. If we live in Wisteria Lane, I would be one very worried married woman. King or no king, he peeps at bathing naked woman.

Elijah

Prone to depression. Collapses under pressure. What sort of pressure anyway?

Solomon

Great preacher. Sensual lover and I would be showered with his lyrical sweet poems all over but no parsonage would never hold all those wives. I cannot stand the idea of sharing my husband, it will break my heart to a million pieces. And all of King Solomon horses and all of King Solomon men could not put one woman heart's back together again.

Jeremiah

Emotionally unstable, alarmist, negative, always lamenting things, reported to have taken a long trip to bury his underwear on the bank of a foreign river. I would take that as Jeremiah has bad hygiene or little imagination. how romantic it can get if Jeremiah and I were walking down the Seine River until he finds a spot and start digging to bury his underwear...

Jonah

Refused God's call into ministry until he was forced to obey by getting swallowed up by a great fish. He told us the fish later spit him out on the shore near here. So I would take that literally that if he refuses to answer my phone calls, I would need to swallow him? Wow, Cannibal. Or do I throw him into an open sea and let a 'big fish' swallow him and expect to collect his remains some 2 days later.

Paul
Powerful CEO type leader and fascinating preacher. However, short on tact, unforgiving with younger ministers, harsh and has been known to preach all night. I would fall asleep on all our dates and he will never forgive me for drooling over him..so I foresee, we won't last too long. Sobs.

Timothy
Too young! I was already playing hopscotch with the boys when he was still in diapers.
So now this begets the question, When God spoke about a man of God to date and marry, who was he actually talking about? - JT: any ideas?