Friday, September 11, 2009

TGIF

Here I am sitting in my little office, sipping my favourite national hot chocolate, a.k.a milo (national because it is Malaysian made) and silently thanking God at every minute that it is Friday. Someone once had a fallacious notion about weekends and singletons. It was quandary when I was told that the weekends can be very lonely for those who are not attached. the crickets seem to crick louder during those days and the birds are hardly in sight to chirp a tune or two at your window. the sun rays do not quite seem to reach into your house and it all gets gloomy and trepidation of dying at your death bed alone will creep into your thoughts. I felt despondent hearing that. A poignancy for those who hold that thought. It must be languishing to think that being single would ruin your weekends or that a weekend at home is a calamitous situation.


I must confess, I am not exactly all sunshine and cheer. I do have mine melancholic days where I would like to curl up in bed and read. Drown myself in literary love affairs, take imaginary walks in Central Park and feel the London wind blowing down my neck. Days I like to shut the world out and watch on ends everything satellite TV has to offer. Time I just want to spend on my own and moments that nothing else could have or would have catch my interest. Besides, after a week long of chasing deadlines, accomplishing the impossible tasks and simply being busy in life, nothing is more rewarding than to have a weekend free of inactivity. An inertia in our life. A grace period of indolence and slugging at home.


I thank God it's friday simply because on the weekends I can be:

a.) catching up with my friends
b.) chilling at home
c.) combing my shinny black hair a 100 times
d.) indulging in the sin of gluttony
e.) stalking homo sapiens on facebook
f.) praying for a rich husband
g.) having time to myself
h.) Sleeping like the sun will never rise again
i.) Sleeping somemore
j.) Curling up in bed with a good book and meditate

Not everyone may be thankful for the weekend. Some have weekends of screaming kids and children who lie on the floor refusing to take their broccoli/carrots/whatever greenies. It may be dreadful to face Sabbath day and there are those who loathe the idea of having to go to church to confess their sins. Everyone feels differently about Fridays and the weekends. Its a variable depending on our current circumstances and seasons. When I was younger, I dread the weekends because it would mean there will be no school and no school would mean I will not be seeing my friends. Now that I have grown older, its the other way around. Weekends are precious. I only have two days in a whole week of 7 days to catch up with friends at modern day coffee house lazing, giggling and acting like cool adults. The rests of the week is a mundane wheel of life. If God or the government or even my employer denies me my 2 days of rest, I would have been a.) a social retard; b.) a miserable git; c.) on suicide watch.

I love Fridays. I love it because I know I would be retiring my brain. What a relief - to switch off brains that have been taught to negotiate the marshland of workload, stress, reports, deadlines and hecticness. Can I watch tv? Can I chat with people? Can I take a nap? Can I stop thinking? How good is it not having to thinking about what to complete, what to submit and what to do. But it never lasts.

Oh well, look on the bright side, at least its TGIF today and not SHIT (Sorry Honey, It's Thursday!)