Saturday, November 14, 2009

You've got No Mail

Royal Mail when is it not on strike, is cheap and on time. Sending parcels and letters are convenient and easy. You buy one of those sticker stamps of Queen E, paste it on your envelope and within the next 2 days, said letter or parcel will arrive at recipient's doorstep with little fuss. Last month, after inquiring for the correct address of the lucky recipient of my parcel, wrapped the parcel, drove to the post office, wrote the address on the parcel, weighed the parcel and paid a kidney for it, I waved goodbye to it at the port for it to be shipped off to England. Upon arrival on English shores, the Royal Mail decided to take an early annual holiday and went on strike. Without having to say, my precious parcel did not arrive at the doorstep of my lucky recipient causing such profound grief and sorrow.

I do not mind if my parcel had arrived with a dent in its box. I would also not mind if my parcel arrived one month later than scheduled. I would also not give two hoots if Royal Mail felt that my oddly shaped parcel was a threat to national security and refused it entry to England and hence delivered it back to me. What I cannot abide is that after spending a fortune to send my bottled lingerie, only to have Royal Mail lose them in the midst of their strike. Which hare brained lunatic had sanctioned that strike?

What is the strike about I have no idea. It could be another case of wanting pay rise, less working hours, more paternal leaves, or requiring redundancy letters to be more interesting, "Dear Me, I have three young children to feed but I am afraid I can no longer stay a day here...". Honestly, these Royal Mail employees should have just threaten to threw stones at their employers and eat their pet poddles rather than just completely stop working and sip skinny lattes.

Of course, I cannot sympathize with these people who lick stamps and weigh parcels for a living. Its like how I cannot stop envying those Prada People with work in skyscrapers glass buildings where the pantry serves Starbucks and M & S cookies and the receptionist look drop dead gorgeous. Royal Mail employees should be grateful their lungs are not turning into diseased walnuts digging coal to power my Electrolux. There is no genuine grievance to understand and such strike can not be properly effective and this has resulted in the lost of my parcel.

Then again, what do I know about mails delivery? I am not Royal nor do I look like I qualify to work in a post office. I cannot lick my stamps. I have a phobia that some cockroach or lizard has laid its eggs on those stamps and if I lick it and my tongue has a cut on it, baby creatures would hatch in my mouth. So no, I cannot work in a post office. Yes, the Royal Mailers should be respected for their bravado in licking egg laden stamps and I should just be wiser next time to insure my parcels. Period.