Thursday, August 20, 2009

Miserably unfrench

I was there

I caught the musical Les Miserables when I was traipsing in London. I debated with the Astronomist for 10 whole minutes on how to pronounce this miserable french word before embarassing myself trying to buy two tickets for us at the counter.

Me: less miserable-less
He: it's Lee Mee Zeerab
Me: Huh? why so difficult wan..leh mah mee sedap serap?!!
He: You really need to dig your ear...not mee sedap or mee goreng la..its Meezerab. you've gotta say it quickly.
Me: I am freezing..SEE my teeth are clattering, (*clatter clatter clatter*) its' impairing my pronounsee-a-shawn
He: Its french. speak it like the french. they like to join all they syllabus together.
Me: I am Chinese. I will say it the Chinese way. Less Miss-a-rabbless
He: yeah..i miss your ramblings. *grins*
Me: I-diot. Now I am lost in translation..aiyo..just go watch la

At the ticket counter:
Me: Two tickets for Less Miserabless
Ticket guy: Wot''s dat, Love?
Me: Erm...the musical which is showing now.. that french one? *looks innocent*
Ticket guy: Wots the name, love?
He: *and when a hero comes along* Lay Mizerabh for two please.
Ticket guy: Ai, two tickets for Lay Mizerabh *grins at me*


It was quite an alright musical but I didn't like it as much as I enjoyed Lion King or Phantom of the Opera. Victor Hugo ( the man who wrote the novel) is an amazing writer who articulately piece together the nature of law and grace that evolve around life and it very much entails the centuries old of France history, architecture, culture, justice, religion and moral principles. A man who wrote in such great length of a convict, Jean Valjean and his journey through life and its bitterness. However, it was too much for me to comprehend it all. I must also be tone deaf as I didn't quite like all that singing. or maybe (a) I prefer masked man singing. or (b) maybe singing animals were a tad more interesting or..(c) just maybe, I wasn't french enough to understand the miserable-ness of it all..