Monday, August 31, 2009

Moaning Moanday

How can something feels so right and yet be wrong?

Countless times I have rejected the astronomist's opinion about things in life. I wanted to do things my way. Write my own story, route my own map and choose my own path. Once I have decided on it...no one can stop me, even God doesn't stop me, who is the astronomist to stop me..I felt. I have made a few mistakes of my own. tried to be the author of my own fate and ended up all heart broken. Walk a lonely path that was ridden with poison ivy and stung myself on the nettles, regretting a few choices. Matthew wrote, "Everything is permissible but not everything is beneficial". He who sits on the Throne sees everything, allows everything but respecting my decisions in life does not necessarily mean he accepts my decisions.

I have a tendency to hum in my head. Whenever I am in a Parlimentary debate with the gang, I hum Amazing Grace to remind myself that God's Grace is soooo amazing that there is nothing in this world that He cannot overcome. When I was asked to advise Bob (whom I have yet to scribble about...coming to the post near you!) on his falling out of love situation, I hummed South Park famous theme song in my head and go on to preach the love gospel to him. He rang a few times asking for ways to cure his insomnia (as I was then in his eyes a love doctor) and I sent him to roll in a field of lavenders.

Everytime I sent him away, I felt something nudge me inside. A tugging at my heart. A slight contrition. So I rang him back one day and told him, 'Let conscience be your guide. As long as your conscience is grounded in God's word, all sleepless nights will turn to be dreamy nights.' Having failed to develop, protect, and live by a conscience grounded in God's Word, I have seen Bob, and even myself end up spiritually shipwrecked. If God's word says something is wrong, it's wrong; no matter how right it feels! So for Bob, it was wrong to commit adultery and yet he did it because it feel right, because he has fallen out of love with his Jamie Oliver and it certainly felt alright to seek love in someone else. For me, God's narrow path is not ideal for my fast and furious Tokyo Drift.

When the ultimate arbiter of your choices and actions is 'feelings,' the winds of temptation, compromise and comfort will sweep you off course and you will end up in shipwrecked. When we want to do our own thing and go our own way, we tend to justify it by saying, 'If it feels so right how can it be wrong?'. Picture this: a fine sea-going vessel lies shattered on the rocks because it got off course.

How often do we make premature calls on our own based on our feelings that it is the right thing to do? Don't we feel guilty and yet we still go to God to INFORM Him of our decisions? If we all had held on to faith and a good conscience - a conscience grounded in God's Word, there will be less lifeline calls. Someone once told me, love, hope and faith is the captain of all ships that can help you brace the storms and rough seas. Lose one and you may end up shipwrecked.