Monday, August 3, 2009

That love affair

I was lucky to catch "The Proposal" by Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds last night. The night before Monday blues catch up. I had to make 3 rain checks with the Engineer before we finally could fit each other into our busy schedule to make time for a little catch up and movie date. As the weekend had been a saga of tumultuous shifts for the Date, I decided to heck with the Date and found a replacement in the Engineer. Its not healthy to sit at home during the weekends and feel sorry for your state of misery.


I would give two thumbs up for "The Proposal" which is a funny movie threaded with romance. Sandra Bullock played Margaret Tate, a highflyer, pushy and devilish editor with Ryan Reynolds, a.k.a. Andrew Paxton as her yes-man secretary who dreams to make it big one day as an editor himself. At the risk of being deported back to Canada when her visa application to stay in the U.S. was rejected, she force her young assistant, Andrew to marry her. He grudgingly accepted it on the condition he will be promoted to editor. To sell their lie to the immigrations, both flew to Alaska to spend the weekend with Andrew's family whom Andrew has not seen for 3 years. The uphill tasks to keep up their charade and a series of comedic situation after situation eventually saw the two falling in love. I won't spoil the story for you guys who have not catch this movie and for those who already have, I am sure you will agree with me that this is one quirky movie that sends us scurrying for a tissue or two at the unexpected twist and turns.


I like to think that my love story with the Astronomist had spark in a remote place like Sitka (Alaska, baby!) where we have to endure horrendous long bumpy rides to get there and have our breath taken away by the scenery. Unfortunately, such fairytale romance is only a barethread scene in hollywood. For a poor peasant like me with no luck of being close to getting on the next plane to Alaska, I had to settle with someone who brought me to a place where I discovered, the best in me.

I still remember vividly the ride on the London eye where he astounded me with the panaromical view of London city and captivated my heart with the twinkling lights of Christmas joy. It will always etch in memory those little trips to the SPCA and the Great Osmond Children's Hospital where he was attached to. He opened my eyes to the things unseen and my heart to a love so true. Taught me more than I ever had. Showed me what love was truly about. Enveloped me in his embrace and removed the cacaphony of hustle and bustle of life from mine. Ride in silence with me and listen to the things unspoken. Endure my endless ramblings and never-ending expostulations. my pillar of strength. my rhapsody of a man. my foreign affair.

Its been awhile now since I last saw you, Andy. Watching the Proposal inspired me to force you to marry me so i can stay in england jolt my semantic memory to recall that time we say our goodbyes in Heathrow (not that you proposed and I am not implying that you should have). It was at that brief moment that caught my heart to discover that when two people fall in love, it can sometimes happen in the most unexpected way. It is a defining moment that has settled into the pieces of my heart.