Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas past




It's the dreaded Monday after the Christmas holidays where some of us not so privilege souls have to drag their lazy selves to slog at work and compensate for the deficit in our bank account due to the season of giving. I nearly fell off my chair when I checked my bank balance this morning. It felt like someone had robbed my bank. or either someone hacked into my account and siphon my lifetime savings in just a span of a week. It seems then I will have to usher in New Year pauperized.

During the holidays, I over binged on the Turkey. guzzle enough liquids for my livers and/or kidneys to hate me. Hibernated like a Polar. Indulged in a buffet of heavenly desserts. suffered bruises courtesy of rowdy snogging Crowds. and gratified in the glory of Christmas Shindig. This year wasn't much about the presents. nor did I get my Tiffany's & Co. or rather the loveliest gifts were not placed under the Christmas tree. They arrived by air and was stuff in my postbox. The postmen in my country seriously need a lesson or two from Santa in delievering Christmas presents with style. They come in their noisy motorbike, honk incessantly at your front gate while you fumble to the gates only to be greeted by a rude grouchy stare and a loud demand for you to sign off their delivery manifest sheet quickly. It must be a crime to be popular and to be receiving gifts for Christmas here.

Thankfully over the years, I had the joy and blessings to be in the company of great peeps to celebrate this holiday season with. In 2005, I had my first English Christmas, the whole she-bang from Cranberry sauce to Christmas Turkey to Salmon to 8 inches of snow to boxing day. The whole fiesta. In 2007, I was most fortunate to have a Down Under Yuletide. In 2008, I flew back from England just to be able to do the countdown in a nick of time back home. This year, I feel that I needed a more chillaxing one. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't that I didn't expect another round of smashing Celebration but rather, I felt expectations are what ultimately killed the celebrations. when you start expecting Christmas to be all glitzy and gold, you place an unfair burden on yourselves and others to make it happen. and as greed is a human flaw, you eventually expect so much that eventually even the best Christmas would feel like a failed celebration in your eyes.

So when it comes to the Best Christmas, the Gold standards of Christmas, I don't believe I really have one. It could do without the Christmas tree or the 8 inches of snow. It could do without the Turkey and the free flow of champagne. it could also do without the presents underneath the tree. it could have a million without(s), but if it has that one thing, that one-liner that makes that christmas uniquely Christmas for that year, I am quick to cheer on it and ride a sleigh with you.

I hope all of you had your own wonderful Christmas time. Coming up next - New Year's celebration. Though I did say to celebrate it with a big bang, let's just hope y'all do not come back from the New Year's holiday hanging on drips or with a broken nose. A hang over is excusable. Till then, run along now and drown in your Monday blues...