Friday, June 12, 2009

Imaginations and beyond

Thank God its Friday! The week has come to an end and I am looking forward to my durian feast outing with the FIL and to chillax in front of the idiot box. I try hard not to think of what next week brings. Live in the present and let tomorrow worry about itself. Last night, I 'tortured' myself into playing out how the durian outing might turn out.

Thought 1 : Durian dropping on my head
Thought 2 : burp and fart smelling like durian
Thought 3: Mozzie bites
Thought 4: Not making back alive from durian feast outing
Thought 5: FIL abandoning me in the orchard

The imagination is every human's most powerful tool. Without wisdom, imagination is a cruel task-master. We like to think the worse, imagine the horrible and wait in doom for armageddon. We are designed to live in the present but most of the time, we spend our time, living in the past or the future. I spend a big piece in the past but most of the time I am trying to figure out the future. It's good to travel to the past ONCE in awhile, to learn from it and much can be remembered. But like most visits, it should not be prolonged to an extended stay. When your visa expires, you became an illegal immigrant in the past. My thoughts of the future is often dictated by fear and worry. I become enslave to fretting about the small stuff, the minuate things and others which I have no control of. And most of the time, my imagination of the future is void of God. Imagined fears that is projected to the future because I want to have control and try to play God.

Rick Warren said :
“Life is a series of problems: Either you are in one now, you're just coming out of one, or you're getting ready to go into another one. The reason for this is that God is more interested in your character than your comfort. God is more interested in making your life holy than He is in making your life happy. We can be reasonably happy here on earth, but that's not the goal of life. The goal is to grow in character, in Christ likeness.”


Let tomorrow's durian feasting session be in God's hands. I trust He will not let me suffer a concussion from the thorny fruit nor allow my bowels to embarass me in front of the FIL.