Saturday, July 12, 2008

3am with Andrew


We finally consented to an 'interview' with the vampires the 'gossipers' about what L.O.V.E meant to the astronomist and I. I was hunted down for days to be at this interview and every where I went, I felt truly unsafe, always having to be on the lookout for someone who will jump out of the bush and drag me into a moving vehicle to be bandage up and bombarded with a series of questions. Paranoia big time.

Well here goes some snippets of the interview that will go on the next issue of the youth's newsletter at church and I must say..I am panicking as I read through what the interviewers wrote...doubly paranoid.

Q: What is it like being with each other?

Me: Being with Andrew is sometimes like being a patient at the doctor's clinic. Always subject to health inspection and always being tested on blood pressure...(quick glance at Andrew's knackered expression. He had just completed an 8 hours shift at the QE). Honestly, Andrew doesn't require me to be the all time goody girlfriend. He respects me for who I am - 5 years old tantrums, horrible grumpy witch, rattling of pimple breakout, crying out loud, laughing like a hyena, and midnight crisis call. I can let my hair down around him and there is no such thing as "PMS" that he doesn't understand or bad hair day or bad mood day or just simply temperamental days that he cannot handle. He is the blankey you can snuggle in and sneeze during rain or shine. (Laughs from the guys)

A: She makes me feel that I am the most important person on Earth. She probably does that to you too right? (Points at one of the interviewers who shakes his head violently, as though being pointed out to be sent to the gallotin) To the world you may be just one person but to her you are the world. Well...she will not poke her nose into my everyday life. She trusts that I will tell her things if I want to and she lets me come to her naturally rather than ask me about my day and try to make conversations. If I am too knackered to talk, she talks. If I talk, she listens. So it is like a client at the pyschiatrist. You tell her what you want to tell and she listens.

Q: What is the one thing that you both dislike about each other?

Me: *Gulps* ...there seemed to be quite a long list...(LOL from everyone) well....probably his seriousness? I don't know...its good to have him being serious though...but yet his seriousness is scary...

A: She likes to leave her things around. She finds it most difficult to put things back to the places where she took it. Just look at her disorganised work table you will know (Yin shot Andrew a can-you-not-tell-the-whole-world look, which the whole world already knows) Her champion list of 'what if(s)' and being worried about things that have yet to happen or will happen.

Q: What makes you think that she is different from others and vice versa?

A: She is not supermodel nor an angel. She stands out above the rest because....she is one tough cookie who weathered storms and yet not tremble at the thunders. Just what she has been through with Brendan is enough said.
she will never try to say nice things to you just because you want to hear it. She doesn't try to be nice because she has to...when she cares, she genuinely cares. Firm and clear principles, no compromising nor anything such as I will follow my heart kinda nonsense.
She doesn't pretend to be your friend at first sight, she takes her time to know you, understand you and finally be there for you. Thick or thin. Oh and the very fact she could allow a person who betrayed her yell down the phone at her and yet no yell back...round of applause ( Agreed - pat on Yin's back) Talk about respect - I salute her for that.
She doesn't tell me everything that you guys shares with her and even when she is lost for advise for you people, she goes to the bible and not me. She will ask your permission if she finds the need to share it with me, right guys? (Nods again) she doesn't try to be Jamie Oliver because I like good food...she tells you what you don't like to hear but its true and you don't realise it...she asked alot...she asked, she questions and she doesn't take whatever I put to her because I am wiser (clear throats loudly followed by a knock by Yin) but she also simply gives her 100% in everything she does. (All nods in agreement)

Me: I didn't know I was vulnerable...*laugh out loud*. Andrew is different from guys I know because he sang 'my girl' to me at 3am. (We don't think that is special, we sang 'hey Jude' to you at the beach, remember?) Okok...he doesn't try to be a christian nor try to be funny guy next door. Just genuine himself inside out. He means what he said, he only says what he means and he doesn't say what it means. He is very much down to earth considering his achievements and he stands firm on solid grounds on things he believe in. He comes to me as a friend, as a brother, no need to try to put on his best front and I would say, he cares and not expect anything in return. He doesn't need the world to see him as Mr. Nice guy but rather, he wants to live up to being more like HIM.

Q: Any advice to other young youths out there in seek for a God written love story?

A: I prayed and waited on Him for this. I saw her at her weakest points and I saw her at her highest points. I saw her through her tribulations and I went to the people that matters most to her for their permission before I sat down and talked to her. She is most vulnerable at this moment and I didn't want to take advantage of it. I respected her as my friend and as my sister in Christ. It was rather, I didn't explore the love story and treated her as equal as my other girl friends. To make sure I didn't go soft on her and sprint faster than God's time, there was no late night chats casula chats alone and no texting each other for nothing. It was Sally and Richard who spoke to me about it. They saw the potential in us, I would say. Sally prayed for me first, she wanted to make sure I was ready for this commitment and then she prayed with Yin to open her heart. However we both didn't want this to be a relationship that will hurt one another, so we both turn to Luke 2:21-40 and read about the examples of faithfulness and waiting on him.
If we knew it would bless God's heart, would we be willing to wait for our spouse with the same faithfulness and expectancy that this godly man and woman had? I rather spent a longer time in another's man's woman's arms than to jump into Yin's arms because my heart tells me so and not because God tells me so. That woman - mind you people, it my father's wife, my mother.

Me: When Andrew first popped the question, I knew deep down I wasn't ready for it. I was on a path of brokenness and rejection. I didn't know if this will be another promise of 'I will seek your highest good above my own. I will lay down my life for you." that will be broken.
If we all prayerfully read Corinthians 13 and ponder all the qualities of true Christlike love, all the makings of a heaveny love, then fewer relationships will end up in brokenness. Learning to love sacrificially is a huge thing. I gave it away once and didn't get it back so naturally I was afraid..I am not saying Andrew will do the same and break my heart but I didn't want to give this a shot kinda thingy and see where it goes. I want to wait upon Him until He gives me that green light before I go. I think it is the same with Andrew. (Andrew nods in agreement)
As women, one of the greatest gifts we possess is our hearts - our emotions, our sensitive nature and our feminity. It comes naturally for us to pour ourselves into a relationship, to become emotionally wrapped up in the guy we are dating. A man doesn't. So I would say my advice would be, even if he seemed like the right person, the perfect guy, the guy who makes your heart skip a beat everytime, wait on his time. How much of your treasure will be left, if you continue to give it away, piece by piece in one relationship after another because you want to give it a shot?

So after the fishes has got their nibble at the piece of juicy meat, the astronomist and I looked at each other and smile, we know that the sweeter song of solo is still being written for us both. We are both holding out for a higher standard in our love story. God laughs at odds, we smile at our bumps. Thy shall keep the word of patience and wait - we shall shake our legs, let the webs be spun and wait upon the ride call Fate. We picked up our juice filled glasses and clinked to a life long friendship.